I am continually proud to serve as your Ward D Councilmember. For eight years, your belief in me has been unwavering and essential to my commitment to provide leadership that delivers. My passion to serve as your councilmember has remained consistent. I am grateful for the friendships and partnerships over the ears.
For eight years, I have been committed to providing leadership that delivers. My passion to serve as your Ward D Councilmember has remained consistent. Since elected, I have:
- Diligently worked with residents, Homeowners Associations and community leaders to enhance police engagement to combat nuisance behavior, squatters and nefarious activity.
- Created Operation Bright Lights to improve visibility, increase safety and deter crime with the installation of over 15 new LED streetlights throughout Ward D.
- Supported Transportation Improvement projects including sidewalk installations along Washington Road and Ben Hill Road; Speed hump installations in Laurel Ridge; and the Ale Circle Re-alignment project to mitigate traffic congestion at Washington Road and Camp Creek Parkway.
- Led efforts to repair piping infrastructure in the Sun Valley Subdivision.
- Collaborated with City staff to resolve severe bacteria overgrowth in the Somerled neighborhood pond with applications of Sterile Grass Carp fish.
- Coordinated Litter Pick-up events along Washington Road and Ben Hill.
I look forward to championing our shared values during my next term. I will remain attentive and responsive to your needs. With your support and vote, I will deliver the priorities that matter most to you.
My motivation for seeking re-election is rooted in my consistent and unwavering passion to serve the residents and business stakeholders of Ward D. Our city's needs are ever-changing and we have been faced with many unique challenges such as the COVID-19 pandemic. Helping meet the bread and butter needs of our residents is a reward beyond measure.
My platform and priorities are as follows:
- Remain accessible to provide prompt responses and timely service delivery for residents and business stakeholders in Ward D
- Restore public trust regarding fiscal transparency by implementing online access to city expenditures and monthly financial statements.
- Continue hosting Ward D meetings and events to provide city updates and resources for residents
- Support on-going Public Safety efforts to reduce crime in Ward D and improve response times for emergency services
- Establish a Litter Management & Pick-Up Plan for Ward D in partnership with residents and business stakeholders
- Advocate for the construction of a recreation and aquatic center in Ward D
- Collaborate with City staff to complete piping infrastructure repairs in Sun Valley
Our city is in a fragile state regarding public trust, I am currently sponsoring an initiative to promote a more open government by implementing transparency software in effort to provide quick and accessible online access to our city's finances and expenditures. This is only a glimpse of the important work that lies ahead for us. Our close-knit relationships have proven there is power in collaboration and I look forward to leveraging our partnerships to achieve an even greater good for Ward D.
In my opinion, the biggest challenge facing is not limited to one department, but rather a need for the city to improve efficiencies in professional service delivery. Councilmembers do not oversee daily operations. Jointly, we can request an action plan be implemented by the City Manager to correct these issues and to provide a timeline for resolution.
We are a community full of wonderful people and incredible neighborhood organizations. Continuing to leverage this engagement to drive change and improvement across our city is something East Point is doing right.
There are also many needs that collectively impact residents of Ward D. Building lasting relationships with individuals, HOA/Community Associations and businesses have afforded me the ability to yield collaborative results in resolving issues throughout Ward D. In 2019, I worked with residents and staff to repair compromised piping infrastructure in Sun Valley. This repair has helped mitigate flooding and sink holes that were in the yards of residents. In recent weeks, we have identified at least 3 more projects in this community that will resolve more of this community's storm water drainage and erosion issues. Mitigating speed throughout Ward D and citywide is a huge safety priority. I have provided residents with traffic calming applications to determine what traffic devices work best in our Ward D neighborhoods.
The city of East Point has a long-time reputation of failing to be business-friendly regarding permitting and licensing. This issue has been a recurring agenda item discussed in city council meetings and in a recent community meeting where stakeholders provided feedback regarding their challenges. Primary issues include extreme delayed response times, software issues and a need to streamline processes. In addition, there have been staff shortages and/or employee turn-over that have contributed to deficiencies in service delivery. I have supported the long overdue compression study to assist with adjusting salaries to promote better hiring and retention efforts. The City Manager and staff are currently working on strategies to overcome these challenges. In the interim, I have worked directly with residents and business stakeholders who are experiencing issues by connecting them with the City Manager's office for prompt resolve. We are ripe for re-development opportunities that would propel us into of haven of live, work, eat and play. I am committed to working with my colleagues to make sure that the Commons Development comes to fruition as I believe this will be the catalyst for incredible growth in our downtown.